userdisp.aspx gives error 404 not found

Written by Kerem Ozen. Posted in SharePoint

The issue is when you click on another user’s name to view him/her information you get a page cannot be displayed error. The link that should work is http://blabla.com/_layouts/userdisp.aspx?ID=12&Source=https%3A%2F%2F…etc. If you append query parameter “Force=True” to the url, then it works fine.

After some googling I’ve found several blog posts and forum posts that suggest User Profile re-provisining, re-creating of my site host and re-configuring the my site settings etc. None of them worked for me.

Then I found a blog post that solved my problem written by Melonie Poole. Here is the solution:
The userdisp.aspx page code needs to be changed on any servers providing web application services for the site (the web front ends, for example). On the servers, navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS. Make a copy of the userdisp.aspx file – just in case, so you’ll have something to revert back to! Open the original using Notepad. Look for Scope=”Farm” and change Farm to Web so that it reads Scope=”Web”. Save and close. Repeat on all web servers. It’s not necessary to reset IIS or reboot the servers. Users may need to clear their browser history, however. The page should now load with no issues.
Hope this helps..

Error 413 on Provider Hosted Apps

Written by Kerem Ozen. Posted in SharePoint, SharePoint 2013

A few days ago we’ve got a strange “413” error while we’re testing our provider hosted application on our SP 2013 development environment. The description of the error is “Request Entity too large” which doesn’t make sense because as the description implies we know that this error can occur while a really large request is sent to the server like uploading a file. In our case we’re just sending an ASP.NET page to the server.

After some googling we’ve found that this error can be caused by SSL which is used in provider hosted apps. So after we’ve added the followinf lines just before the tag in web.config, the error was gone.  

Customer Feedback for SharePoint Server 2016

Written by Kerem Ozen. Posted in SharePoint

SharePoint Server 2016 is on it’s way. By that time you can give feedback and suggestions on SharePoint and help improving SharePoint. Please click the link below and check whether your suggestions have given already. If so you can vote that idea to make it appear on the top of the list. If not you can submit your own suggestion to the list.

Customer Feedback for SharePoint Server 2016

RePoint Infoscreen App

Written by Kerem Ozen. Posted in SharePoint, SharePoint 2013

From now on I’m going to share useful applications for SharePoint 2013 on my blog. Here is the first one that I saw on Microsoft SharePoint’s facebook page.
The RePoint InfoScreen module delivers an easy-to-use system to create good looking, responsive infoscreens that can be displayed on any internet browser. Every infoscreen consists of one or more configurable pages which can be cycled through – each with auto-updated information from SharePoint lists and libraries or even other webpages. The infoscreens is tailored to be used for
  • Reception
  • Meeting rooms
  • Department dashboards
  • Goods packaging list screens
You can get a 30-day fully functional trial from Office Online site. InfoScreenimageright512x384 InfoScreennoimage512x384

InfoPath Error: Form Server Templates are not accessible

Written by Kerem Ozen. Posted in SharePoint, SharePoint 2013

A strange error occurred in one of my projects. In my SharePoint 2013 environment, I’ve a web application running on port 80. When I need another web app, I gave it port 89. After giving a CNAME , I setup AAM and IIS bindings so that users can access my web app by writing http://xxx.com.tr instead of http://sharepoint:89. So everything worked fine except InfoPath. I have some InfoPath forms deployed on this new web app running on 89. When I tried to open any of this forms it gave me the following error.  
The following location is not accessible, because it is in a different site collection: http://sharepoint/FormServerTemplates/Form.xsn?SaveLocation=http://sharepoint/FormLibrary…..
It was trying to access my form template from the root site collection of web application under port 80. After googling a couple of hours I came up with an idea that it might be due to the request management service. Then I enabled verbose logging level for request management service with the PowerShell command below. When I inspect the logs I saw the request management service is redirecting my form template requests from http://xxx.com.tr to http://sharepoint. Only thing I need to do is disable request management service with the following PowerShell script. This solves my problem. Maybe this is not the perfect solution and it would be mode appropriate to setup request management service to prevent this redirection. But in my case it doesn’t make difference. Hope this helps.. Note: Yes, I still use InfoPath 🙂